History of B.T.C.
The club is based on the River Itchen in Southampton, under the shadows of the Itchen Bridge and a stone’s throw from Ocean Village.
We have access to the River Test and Southampton water, all of which provide great opportunities for river and coastal rowing.
We are one of the largest and most successful clubs in the region with our members competing at local, national and international levels.
The origins of the club can be traced back to 1927. Originally called Southern Railway (Docks & Marine) Rowing Club, it served to provide a recreational water-based activity for the male members of the then Southern Railway Docks Boards Sports & Social Club.
With the privatisation of Southern Railway after the war, Southampton Docks business activities were taken over by the British Transport Commission (B.T.C.) in 1947. However, it wasn’t until 1953 that the rowing club changed its name to what it is today; B.T.C (Southampton) R.C.
The 1970’s and 1980’s saw some of the biggest changes to the club, including a change to the boat house location in both decades. The last of which was to Crosshouse Road, where you will still find us to this day.